The SHOP was recently written about by Michaela Ramm of the Iowa State Daily.
The article featured quotes from various members of the executive board and went into detail about how the SHOP can help students.
This should hopefully help Students Helping Our Peers become known to more students on campus!
Make sure to check out the article over on theiowastatedaily.com to see how the SHOP is being represented on campus.
Our fall 2014 Mobile SHOP event was a HUGE success!!!
Thank you to everyone who came out to Frederiksen Court and made our event possible
CHECK THIS OUT!!
Mobile SHOP will be held on Wednesday, October 29th from 3-6pm at the Frederiksen Court Community Center. SHOP volunteers will be handing out FREE, pre-packaged, fall-themed food bags including chili ingredients, apple cider packets as well as a side and dessert.
Interested in learning more? Check out Jasmine’s article: http://m.iowastatedaily.com/self/article_4bfa80ae-54be-11e4-a687-1b565d42ba1d.html?mode=jqm
Have a FABULOUS Friday!!!
Just in case you didn’t see The SHOP President’s (Kirsten Mancosky) e-mail, check this out!
Hi SHOP members!
I hope your summer has started out well! The spring semester was an incredible success, so I thought a recap was in order of the most notable accomplishments, and there are also some exciting things to look forward to for the fall. (Bear with me on the length, I apologize in advance. There’s just so much great information!)
If you’re confused by all of the random numbers printed on canned, boxed, or packaged food items, don’t worry, you’re not alone! Here are some tips to help you decode those numbers and decide what is the best course of action to take.
What do the dates mean?
Since there is little federal regulation on product dating, the format may differ for each company that voluntarily chooses to include such dates. Here are a few dates in particular that you should pay attention to:
- “Best if used by/best before”: eat the item by this date in order to ensure best flavor and quality. The food item is safe to consume a little while after peak freshness.
- “Use by/before“: similar to the “best if used by/best before” date, this date indicates the last day the item will be at its peak quality. After this date, product quality (i.e., color, flavor) will gradually deteriorate. Since this date is similar to an expiration date, it is advised to discard the item past this printed date.
- “Sell by”: indicates the last day the manufacturer can have the item displayed for sale. While this date is less of a concern for canned foods due to their long shelf-life, it is helpful for rotating cans and making sure that older items are eaten first.
That’s right, FREE food! The SHOP (Students Helping Our Peers) is an on-campus food pantry for students located in the Food Science Building room 2616. We are excited to share our promotional event with you. Come by The SHOP on Thursday, February 13, 2014 from 1PM to 6 PM to pick up this delicious box of goodies shown above!
The SHOP also open each week Tuesday through Thursday from 3PM to 6PM. Utilizing our service is completely anonymous and available to all students. In addition to this box of snacks, we also provide non-perishable items (i.e., canned/boxed food), household items, and personal care items.
For more information about this great resource, visit:
- Our website at http://www.theshop.stuorg.iastate.edu
- “Like” our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/StudentsHelpingOurPeers
Any further questions or comments about the organization can be directed to SHOP President, Kirsten Mancosky (firstname.lastname@example.org).