With the holidays here, it’s a great time to cook with family and try new recipes. Below you’ll find some scrumptious recipes that contain mostly non-perishable ingredients. Enjoy!
1-15 ounce can black beans*
1-15 ounce can kidney beans*
1-15 ounce can butter beans*
1-15 ounce can great northern beans*
1-15 ounce can whole kernel corn
2 large bell peppers, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1-28 ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes
1-6 ounce can tomato paste
1 package chili seasoning
2 cups water
*This recipe tastes best with three or more types of beans. Feel free to use bean varieties including: lima beans, black-eyed peas, cannellini beans, pinto beans, etc.
1. Drain and rinse canned beans and corn under cool water. Place in a large pot.
2. Add peppers and onion.
3. Empty canned tomatoes (with juice) into the pot in addition to tomato paste and seasoning.
4. Pour water over the ingredients. Stir until mixed well.
5. Cook over low heat (covered) for at least 45 minutes, stirring intermittently.
6. Serve and enjoy!
- For chili mac, cook boxed macaroni noodles until al dente. Serve chili over macaroni noodles.
- Toppings include: oyster crackers, shredded cheese, cilantro, chopped green onion, a dallop of sour cream, etc.
- Lean ground beef or ground turkey can also be added for a non-vegetarian option.
- Freeze leftovers in airtight containers or freezer bags for four to six months.
Recipe from: Spend Smart, Eat Smart
1-15 ounce can sweet potatoes
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Drain liquid from sweet potatoes.
2. Combine all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl.
3. Cook in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes or until heated through.
4. Stir until smooth.
- Serve as a hot or cold dip with graham crackers, sliced fruit or pita chips.
- Carver dip also be spread on top of a bagel, English muffin, or piece of toast.
Ramen Noodle Skillet
Recipe adapted from: Spend Smart, Eat Smart
1-15 ounce can sliced carrots
1-15 ounce can peas
1-15 ounce can asparagus
1-8 ounce can water chestnuts
2 teaspoons vegetable or olive oil
2 cups cooked lean meat or poultry, cut into pieces
1 cup water
1-2 (3 ounce) packages instant Ramen noodles
1. Drain and rinse all canned vegetables under cool water.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet. Sauté vegetables and cooked meat until hot.
3. Cook Ramen noodles according to package directions.
4. Mix noodles, vegetables, and meat in a large bowl.
5. Serve and enjoy!